Erie Lackawanna Hoboken Terminal NJ
A vew of the historic Hoboken N.J. Erie Lackawann Terminal with the Hudson River in the foreground. The Terminal is one of the New York metropolitan area’s major transportation hub serving multiple rail lines, bus lines, PATH trains, the N.J. Hudson Bergan Light Rail, and N.Y. waterway ferries. It is New Jersey’s second busiest railroad station and third busiest transportation facility serving more than 50,000 commuters daily. The terminal location has been used since colonial times to provide transportation to Manhattan from N.J. roads beginning with ferry service. John Stevens, an inventor and the founder of Hoboken, built the first steam-powered ferries for service in 1811. The facility was funded and operated by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western (DL&W), designed by Kenneth M. Murchison in the Beaux-Arts style. Falling into decay and somewhat upgraded over time, the terminal was restored to its original style beginning in the mid-2000s and completed in 2011. Superstorm Sandy caused significant damage to the terminal, requiring major cleanup, repair and restoration once again.