Spring Perfection Branch Brook Park NJ
A lovely, serene view of Branch Brook Park Lake with softly hued pink cherry blossoms in the foreground and early spring greenery and cherry blossoms in the background across the water. When the park was designed,the 24 acre Brook Park Lake was planned as the main feature of the new park. The idea of a large park for the city of Newark had been floating around for some time but after the Civil War, Newarkers were motivated by the beauty of Central Park. Frederick Law Olmsted proposed a 700 acre park in northwest Newark in 1867. The land designated for the park was all swamp and forest at the time. The cost of such a park, though, was prohibitive and the project was not started until 30 years after. Two lion sculptures sit a the entrance of the lake area, carved by Karl Ritter. The lions originally were located at the old Prudential Building on Broad Street. When that building was torn down, the lions were relocated at the park by the lake. The lions remain today after recently being cleaned and restored. Also, a statue bust of Olmstead can be been seen by the lake. From the park, Across the lake, one can see the spire and towers of the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart.